5 Things to Plan for in October
With fall break trips to plan, Halloween costumes to buy, and pumpkins to carve, there’s a lot on the to-do list in October. Plus, with the turn of the season, you can always find a great deal on last season’s big buys.
Let’s get started planning opportunities to save and spend this month! Here are five items you want to consider putting in your October budget.
1. Fall activities. Everywhere you look in October, you’ll see festivals, pumpkin patches, orchards, farmers’ markets and football tailgates. Some of the activities are free. But for the ones that aren’t, be sure to set aside some money—and have a lot of fun!
2. Fall travel expenses. If you have vacation time left over from the summer, now might be a good time to take a trip! Whether you hit the road for fall break or a long weekend, resorts sometimes send out special offers this time of year since business is slower. Start planning now so you can adjust your budget accordingly!
3. Halloween. Whether you’re buying candy for neighborhood trick-or-treaters, spooky decorations for your home, or a fun outfit for a costume party with your friends, make sure you set money aside to pay for the festivities!
4. Camping gear. Clearance sales on camping gear happen in October. You can get great deals on tents, hiking gear and fishing equipment this month. And it just so happens that now is the perfect time to sleep under the stars while the weather is cool!
5. Christmas savings. We’ve got three months left until Christmas. If you’re already saving up for the holiday, keep it up! If you haven’t started yet, figure out how much you want to spend on gifts and divide it by three. Save that amount each month and you’ll be ready when it’s time to start buying presents!
When you make a budget, you get to decide what you spend and save on this fall. You can create your free October budget in less than 10 minutes with EveryDollar!